Praise be to Jesus now and forever.
This blog is almost 9 years old with around 49k hits! :)
The archive of posts is located just below the Song of the Fortnight gadget.
Subscribe to get the latest posts via email from the right pane.


Disclaimer:
This site uses cookies and you accept that by continuing to use the site that you agree to this.
You are currently hearing the audio from the Song of the Fortnight gadget in the right pane.
All the content belongs to their respective owners. I own nothing.
The posts you see on this blog are not entirely my work. Credit has been attributed wherever possible.
I have not used any ad service on this website.



Info2

Click here for a list of all posts related to Christmas.


Click here for Christmas messages

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Presuming about tomorrow

Thought of the day
written by Joel Osteen
August 14 2011 



Today's Scripture

Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. (NIV)

Yet you do not know [the least thing] about what may happen tomorrow. What is the nature of your life? You are [really] but a wisp of vapor (a puff of smoke, a mist) that is visible for a little while and then disappears [into thin air]. (AMP)

Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. (KJV) 


(James 4: 14)

Today's Word

Life is unpredictable. None of us know what's going to happen tonight much less next year. All we can do is make guesses. A war could start, the economy could turn around, your friends could leave you. None of us know what's going to happen in life. Many of you work on commission, or you are self-employed. You go from feast to famine in your income. One day it's great and the next day it's the pits. You don't have any assurance. There is no guarantee of perpetual success. None of us do. Realize that you can't presume on tomorrow. We shouldn't let that frighten us, that life is uncertain. Don't worry about it or be afraid. Just let it cause you to trust God more. Let it cause you to be more dependent on God. You don't know what's going to happen in your life or your business. It just forces you to trust God more. Life is unpredictable.

Life is brief. "you are a mist" “Mist" in Greek is "atmos" where we get the word "atmosphere". Your life is like fog; it rolls in, in the morning but it burns off by noon. Who knows how long we're going to live? None of us do. How does the Bible describe your life? It uses phrases like a leaf, grass, shadow, cloud, puff of smoke, vapor. I'm only one heartbeat away from eternity. I don't know how long I'm going to live.You can't presume that tomorrow is going to be just the same as today. You can't presume that you're going to live to be 100. Proverbs 27:1 "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth." We love to announce our plans, to make our goals and declare them. Next year I'm going to double my income! Next year I'm going to take over three territories! Announcing a goal can either be a statement of faith or it can be a statement of arrogance. What makes the difference?
 Your motive. God says it's great to have goals but check in with Me first. Don't presume on tomorrow. What's the solution? Matthew 6:34 0 "So don't be anxious about tomorrow -- God will take care of your tomorrow too.

Enjoy now. Make the most of now. Don't make the mistake of planning without God. Don't make the mistake of presuming about tomorrow. I don't know if I've got next week, much less next year. I shouldn't just assume it. Spencer Johnson, the man who wrote the book The One Minute Manager wrote another book called The Perfect Present. In this book he said the perfect present is literally the perfect present. The present time. That's all I have. That's all I have to give to this world. Not next hour or next month but right now. That's the gift that God has given to me so I ought to use it. That's all I have -- the present.

Just because the future is uncertain and unsure and brief, doesn't mean you get all uptight and get paralyzed with panic and worry. It's the motivation to trust God more. You put your trust in God -- that's how you face the future. "I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future." That's what counts.

Today's Prayer 
Father in heaven, help me to not make the mistake of planning my life without You and help me to not merily to presume tomorrow. Instead, help me to include You in my planning to make the most of today and to really live llife one day at a time. In Jesus Name Amen

No comments: